Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Just Hanging Around (Day 26)

1. Had a big breakfast of pretzels and wurst with Jana and Anne.
2. Went to the Kletterwald*.
3. Pried my fingers from the ropes.
4. Had twice-baked potatoes for dinner. 

*The Kletterwald is a high-ropes obstacle course.  Joern's sisters were very eager to try it, and wanted me to try too.  Not to be outdone by a 12-year-old, I agreed.  A nice guy strapped some ropes and clippy-things to me and spoke in English sometimes and most of the time German.  I understood "this should be tight" and thought to myself "ya think?" as I yanked on my straps in an attempt to cut off circulation in my legs.  He then took us to a little course about three feet off the ground and showed us how to hook the clippy-things to cables attached to the trees in various ways, and when to hold on and when to JUMP OFF THE PLATFORM.  We paused for translation, and it turns out he wanted me to JUMP OFF THE PLATFORM.  Jana and Anne jumped, and they went flying gracefully across the cable.  I was not so sure the same would happen to me.  So, I gathered my courage and jumped.  I was connected to a zip line and went flying across the cable, and after discovering I hadn't fallen or died, I thought it was really fun!  There I was!  Soaring three feet off the ground, like a bird-that-doesn't-fly-very-high flying!  We went on to more challenging courses, and it was amazing.  I climbed, I swung, I tightrope-walked, I flew through the air on a surfboard, I did the splits!  Needless to say I left the park exhilarated and  unable to move.  It was pretty awesome, and Joern had a great time capturing every moment (next time he will have to join of course!).

Training
Hanging out


Surfing!

Landing

Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment