Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 142

Hi Everyone!
I was in full summer mode these past couple of weeks in addition to a little artistry.  Also, the heat wave finally hit Germany, making it difficult to make any sudden moves, cook, or wear cotton (I really need that Fitness-Anti-Sweat-Technology stuff).  My German class for the summer is now a night course, which means fewer hours in class, but a lot more to absorb in one dose.  Thus far, I think the most important thing I've learned from this course is to let English be English and German be German.  Too many students try to translate everything in their head because the languages are so similar, but that doesn't really work long-term.  Besides, you never really get a feel for the flavor of the language.  So no, I have no idea why it's 'vom Flughaven' and not 'aus Flughaven' even though a Flughafen technically has a door- making it physically possible to go 'out/aus'- and even though we would probably just say 'from/vom' in all cases in English...I accept it and move on. 

In other news, we just returned from the Ausslanderamt (Alien Office) and I now have my 'Green Card!'  We still are pretty unclear exactly what I have to do for the Integration requirements outside of the tests, but right now we're celebrating the first victory- I have a German ID!  We think I can simply continue with the German courses I'm already doing, so we'll see.  Other than that, it's time for homework and throwing together a pasta salad for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment